An oil boiler is an efficient, affordable method of heating your home, but making the most out of your boiler will depend on how well you take care of it. Like any other kind of appliance, an oil boiler is affected by time and use, but proper maintenance will help it live a long, functional life. Jones Services offers the best oil boiler maintenance in Goshen, NY and routine visits from their expert service professionals will be the difference between having a comfortable home and spending the winter dealing with boiler repairs and problems. They offer these five tips to keep your oil boiler in the best condition possible.
- Clean the Blower: Take time to wipe the soot, dirt and dust off of the blower at the beginning of the heating season and then again halfway through. If those particulates find a way into the boiler’s inner mechanisms, the efficiency and function will be negatively affected.
- Clean the Combustion Chamber: The combustion chamber is where the fuel is ignited, and that process creates carbon soot and other harmful debris. As that soot accumulates, it corrodes the inner walls of the chamber. The chamber should be cleaned once a year to avoid corrosion.
- Inspect the Flue Pipe: The ignition process of an oil boiler produces carbon monoxide, and that gas travels through the flue pipe. Even a small leak can lead to a dangerous situation. Inspect the flue for holes on a regular basis. It may be possible to patch small leaks, but once corrosion begins, it’s always safer to replace the flue.
- Check the Smoke: The key to problem prevention is catching issues before they turn into expensive repairs, but knowing when your boiler is malfunctioning isn’t always easy. A good indication that something isn’t right is the color of the smoke that comes out of the chimney. If it’s black, the furnace is burning the oil inefficiently. Call a professional to find out why as soon as possible.
- Trust a Professional: An oil boiler is a large piece of equipment that involves a complicated ignition process. Proper maintenance depends on knowing exactly what you’re looking at and understanding the best way to service the different parts. Even a small mistake could end up causing serious damage or bodily injury. Finding professional oil boiler maintenance in Goshen is the best way to avoid that risk.
With the right kind of upkeep, your oil boiler will heat your home for many years. Protect that investment by relying on the expert service professionals at Jones Services. Call them today to learn more about oil boiler maintenance in Goshen, NY.