Like it or not, the hazy heat and humidity of summer is fast approaching. So now is the perfect time to prepare for that hot weather by having your air conditioning system professionally serviced. But how do you know which HVAC service company to choose? Hiring blindly off the internet can be risky. If you don’t at least perform a cursory “Google background check,” you are opening yourself up to falling prey to scammers. These guys love to make a buck by charging for shoddy work or “diagnosing” a non-existent problem with your air conditioner. Read on for a few tips to make sure you hire a reputable company and steer clear of those service shysters and ventilation villains.
The ideal place to start when investigating the merits of any service company is your local Better Business Bureau. (http://www.bbb.org/) The BBB strongly recommends doing your homework before hiring anybody to service their air conditioning system. Here at Jones Services Company, we are proud of our BBB accreditation and A+ rating. But not every service company has such a positive relationship with their customers. Each year, the BBB receives numerous complaints from consumers who are charged unnecessarily for costly repairs and replacements of their air conditioning systems. How do these corrupt companies get away with it?
Believe it not, some have been caught removing important components or allowing coolant to leak out, so the system appears to be in disrepair, when in truth it is not. And that’s when they make their “catch”, unjustly convincing consumers to pay for needless repairs or replacements. Another warning sign is when estimates are quickly given without the technician taking into consideration the size of your home or its current air conditioning system.
In order to avoid being scammed this air conditioning season, the BBB highly recommends you hire only licensed HVAC professionals and keep the following things in mind before making a hire:
- If you receive an offer that seems too good to be true, then it warrants further investigation. Advertisements offering unbelievable bargains or “free” services are a sure sign to take caution.
- Before hiring a service, check to see if your air conditioning system is currently under manufacturers’ warranty. Some scammers will attempt to take advantage by charging you for replacement parts that are still covered.
- Know your air conditioning system’s maintenance history. Having the facts on past repairs and replacements can give you the upper hand when dealing with a scammer.
- Be skeptical of companies offering free estimates without first inspecting your system. It is not possible to provide a professional work estimate without examining your home’s entire system in person.
- Never accept a verbal estimate. Always request one in writing.
- Are their company vehicles properly logoed and employees professionally uniformed? Make sure the cleaning company is reputably recognized.
- Does the company have a specialized website? In today’s tech-savvy world, any respectable business should bear a quality website.
- Is the company’s address legitimate? Check out GoogleEarth to confirm a company’s site is an established location and not just a vacant lot.
Although these tips are valuable when hiring any type of company of the internet, you could save yourself a lot of work this coming air conditioning season by simply giving us a call first. At Jones Services Company, we are committed to our role as one of the “good guys” and we know you will be more than satisfied with our work.